Greek NOT Pasta Salad and the best dang chicken.

Friday, May 13, 2016

 I know I have been slacking, but I was in a bit of a cooking rut. It happens to me every now and then and during those time I just throw whatever together. In those moments, I couldn't even think of turning my madness into an actual recipe for you lovely people.

 I am back at it though and I am trying to think of even more ways to post on this here blog. I have a bit of a makeup obsession, so I thought about posting some about that and then there is mine and my husband's love for wood. Maybe I can convince him to do some tutorials on a few things we are working on. I don't really even know if people are reading this, but oh well ha! On to the recipe...

I think I said it in a previous post but, I legit wish I was born Greek. The flavors in Greek food are my weakness. Greece is definitely on my bucket list and one day I will visit there and eat ALL the food.

My sister started making a greek pasta salad a few years ago and now anytime I crave pasta salad, it is my go. Everyone loves it and it makes a lot. I was trying to come up with something that was like that, without the "pasta"  yet I didn't want to just make my greek salad I have posted before.I wanted to come up with a different dressing recipe and ya'll- OH MY GOSH. This might be one of the best dressings I have made yet! As for the chicken recipe, I change it up here and there, but overall, this is the marinade I use for my chicken souvlaki sandwiches and just a good way to amp up some grilled chicken.


|| Best Dang Chicken ||


Ingredients 
------

- 8-10 chicken tenderloins, cut into small pieces ( breast would work here too)
-2 cloves of garlic ( smashed then chopped)
-2 tsp oregano (dried)
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 tsp cumin
-1/4 cup olive oil
-2 splashes of red wine vinegar
-juice of one lemon
-2 tBsps plain greek yogurt
-------
-wooden skewers (soaked in water to keep from burning)

Directions
------

Combine chicken pieces and all remaining ingredients into a bowl. Be sure to coat the chicken with the marinade well. Cover and refrigerate 45 mins to overnight ( the longer the better). Once marinated to desired amount, remove and place pieces on wooden skewers. Tip- be sure to leave space between the pieces of chicken. It helps them cook evenly and helps you avoid underdone chicken. Place chicken on grill and cook until done. Be sure to rotate the skewers half way during cooking. You can do this keeping the tenders/breast whole and not even use the skewers but, I love the bite sized pieces.



|| Greek Not Pasta Salad ||

Ingredients
-----
-1 english cucumber, spiralized *
-about 8 grape tomatoes, halved
-about 5 peperocinis, stemmed and chopped
-about 6 pitted kalamata olives, halved
-1/2 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed ( my favorite are the Trader Joes organic garbanzo beans. They are a bit firmer than other canned ones I have tried)
-4 oz feta cheese, crumbled ( do yourself a favor and don't buy the pre crumbled kind for this salad, the block you crumble yourself is only a little bit more cost wise but a thousand times better taste wise)

Directions
------

Combine all ingredients and toss with favorite greek/red wine dressing OR do yourself a favor and make the dressing recipe I included below.





I was trying to think of a dressing to go with my "greek not pasta salad" and knew I wanted a dill flavor. I also had an ungodly amount of red onions in my pantry so, I decided to combine the two. This dressing is seriously SO good. I am already thinking of when I can make it again. 

|| Dill Onion Vinaigrette ||


 

Ingredients
-------
-1 tbsp (packed) fresh dill  (chopped)
-1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
-1/2 cup olive oil
-1/4 cup red wine vinegar
-1 tsp honey
-1 tBsp dijon mustard
-1 tsp salt
-juice from one lemon WEDGE

Directions
 -------
Combine all ingredients and whisk well. Allow to sit before serving for around 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld together. Will keep in fridge for 1 week.  




* this is the spiralizer I use. I have had it for about 4 years and use it weekly. It comes with 3 different blades. I highly recommend getting one. 





Until next time, my hungry friends. 
xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan