Fig-Prosciutto Flat Bread with Arugula

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

 A few years back, my sister told me about Naan. She told me it was the perfect store bought alternative to "pita" bread like they serve in restaurants, compared to that horrible stuff they pass off in the grocery store as fresh pita. If you aren't familiar with Naan it is an oven baked flatbread often found in West, Central and South Asia. It light and airy and yummy. It is fairly easy to make but I am a cheater and I always buy the store bought kind. The best brand in my opinion is the Stonefire brand. They carry it in my area at Publix. I also buy the brand they sell at Aldi, which is nearly identical to the Stonefire brand. I often throw a package in my grocery cart because it can be used in so many different ways. 

A few weeks ago I was at work trying to think of what I had at home for dinner. I remembered I had a bought a package of naan and some prosciutto the week before. I almost always keep goat cheese and fresh mozzarella on hand so, I thought, YUP! Naan "pizza" it is. You could definitely change out your ingredients here. This one is on the sweeter side, but not dessert sweet.

 For the base of the flat bread I used one of Sallie's Greatest Jams on it. Let me tell you, these things are GREAT. I picked one up about a year ago at the local meat market and quickly went back for other flavors. They are made in SC and make the BEST addition to a cheese plate. Sallie's has no idea who I am, but I love to support local companies. It would be hard for me to pick a favorite but, I think my original purchased flavor, Blackberry Spice & Sage is my favorite. A piece of brie and it are a beautiful pair, just saying.



Anyways, on to the recipe. You can find a ton of different recipes for proscuitto fig pizza but this is my take on it. This recipe is per flat bread so, depending on how many you are making, just double, triple etc. the recipe.

-----------------------------


Fig-Prosciutto Naan with Argula

{{Ingredients}}

-1 naan
-1-2 thinly sliced pieces of prosciutto {torn into pieces}
- about 1 tbsp of fig jam 
-2 slices of buffalo mozzarella {cut into smaller pieces}
-1 tbsp of goat cheese { crumbled into smaller pieces)
- 1 handful of arugula
- 1 drizzle of olive oil






{{Directions}}

Lay out naan on oven safe pizza pan or a cookie sheet will work just fine. Spread fig jam onto naan. Evenly spread out cheese around naan. Top with torn pieces of prosciutto. Place into oven and cook for about 13 minutes (or until cheese is completely melted and prosciutto looks a little bit crispy). Remove from oven and top with arugula, drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil on top. At this point you can either put the naan back in the oven {for no longer than 1 minute} to wilt the arugula a bit or you can just eat it like it is. Some times I like it wilted and other times I like it completely raw. That's up to you. Cut naan into bite sized pieces and ENJOY!

----------------------------







 





No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan